Game-Based Learning plays important role in teaching by making students to collaborate, communicate, interact and work in teams. Strategic games improve the functioning of brain. Gaming creates a dynamic that can inspire learners to develop skills and build an emotional connection to learning and subject matter. Games designed specifically for the purpose of educating children can motivate self learning and problem-solving skills to a great extent. Game-Based Learning simply means including knowledge matter of subject into games. All types of games are learning processes, be it casual gaming for fun, or something serious. Here is one of such games. The student will be able to identify objects and count them
African dishes are becoming part and parcel of most kitchens in the world nowadays. Koki and Ripe Plantain is a typical African dish. It is a dish so abundant in the various food nutrients. This traditional dish has become so popular that it is now eaten in many countries of the world because of its richness. The main ingredients used to prepare a tasty Koki and Ripe Plantain dish are,
- koki beans
- ripe plantains
- red palm oil
- tender cocoyam leaves
- pepper for those who eat pepper.
This video shows us the ingredients to prepare a good dish of Koki and Ripe Plantains. Subscribe and share with friends.
- The beans and tender coco-yam leaves are harvested from the farm or bought from the market or store. All the other ingredients are gotten from the store. Spinach can be used where cocoyam leaves are not accessible.
- Soak the full beans grains for about 2 to 3 hours and wash. If crushed, soak and wash immediately.
- Slice the tender cocoyam leaves.
- Grind the beans after washing.
- Put the paste in a mortar, add a bit of salt and magi and stir or beat it for about three to four minutes.
- Add salt and magi to taste. Stir again for some time until it rises and almost double the quantity.
- Add the cocoyam leaves, and then it is ready to tie in bundles.
- Add red palm oil in each bundle before tying.
- Put in a sizable pot, add water and steam for about 45 mins to one hour.
- After grinding blend the paste very well. Add enough water and then all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Tie in bundles and steam in a sizable pot.
Some Health Benefits of Koki and Rip Plantains
- The steaming method used in cooking koki retains a lot of vegetable proteins from the beans that are good for the body.
- Red palm oil gives us vitamins and fats.
- The tender cocoyam leaves give us vitamins and help in building our blood.
- Plantains provide us with calcium and starch.
Corn Fufu and Njyama-njyama is a typical African dish, so rich in the various food nutrients. This traditional dish has become so popular that it is now eaten in many countries of the world because of its richness. The main ingredients used to prepare a tasty corn fufu and njyama-njyama dish are as listed below.
- corn flour
- vegetables (njyama-njyama} also called huckleberry Other leaf vegetables can be used such as bitter leaf.
- vegetable oil
- Pepper for those who like it.
- banana leaves
Method for preparing Corn Fufu and Njyama-njyama
- Harvest the huckleberry (Njyama-njyama) from the farm or buy from the market. The quantity depends on how much fufu and njyama-njyama you want to prepare.Pick the njyama-njyama by removing the hard stems.Wash thoroughly and boil the njyama-njyama for about 20 to 30 minutes, then remove and slice.
- Slice the tomatoes and onion and fry using the vegetable oil and fry about two to three minutes.
- Add salt and magi, and allow to fry for about two or three more minutes depending on the quantity. Pepper can also be added at this stage for those who like it.
- Add the sliced njyama-njyama and stir well. When it is well mixed with the tomato and onion paste, allow it for one or two minutes, then stir and remove from the gas cooker or fireside.
- Trash dry yellow or red corn and grin it at a grinding mill. You may buy already prepared corn flour from a store.
- Put enough water in a sizable pot, depending on your quantity. Allow the water to bubble. Mixed corn flour with water and put in the bubbling water, then stir continuously for about three to four minutes till the dough is thick and tough.
- Add warm water and using a pestle or a wooden spoon , open the dough and let the water go in between the dough down to the bottom of the pot. Then cover and let it cook for about two to three minutes. open and stir till the fufu is smoother, tougher and looks shinny.
- Use the banana leaves to tie. Where there are no banana leaves, you can use film rolls.
- Serve with fried or baked chicken, fish or meat.
Corn Fufu and Njyama-njyama is a dish very rich in food nutrients such as,
- fats and oil
This video shows how to prepare Corn Fufu and Njyama-njyama. View and share it with friends.
Achu and Yellow soup is a typical African Traditional dish of the Ngemba clan in Cameroon. It is a dish so abundant in the various food nutrients. This traditional dish, because of its richness, has become so popular that it is now eaten all over the country and in many countries of the world. The process to come out with a tasty dish of Achu and Yellow Soup is in three stages; the preparation, the actual pounding, and the Yellow soup preparation.
The main ingredients for preparing Achu and Yellow soup are coco-yams, banana, red palm oil, cow meat and skin, salt, magi, Limestone (Niki), achu soup spices, and pepper. The pepper is only for those who eat it. In my village setting, the coco-yams and banana are harvested from the farm while the other ingredients bought from the market or store. Of course, in a city, one has to buy all the parts. The traditional plates (banana leaves) are also harvested and warmed over a glowing fire then split in rectangular forms ready for use in the second stage to tie the achu (coco-yam fufu) itself. In a city, we use a dish in place of the leaves.
The coco-yam and banana are washed and put in a sizable pot, beginning with the coco-yams, then the banana, and finally some tender or young coco-yams at the top. The pot is then covered with banana leaves or foil paper and allow to cook until the coco-yam and banana are soft enough for pounding.
Pounded coco-yam and banana
When the coco-yam and banana are well cooked,
- Firstly we peel the tender or young coco-yams and pound.
- Then pound the banana and mixed with the pounded coco-yam. This is done in about two or more batches depending on the quantity. Each batch is mixed up with the previous one to keep it continuously soft and smooth. At the end of this stage, all the pounded coco-yam and banana are well mixed until it is smooth to form a dough.
- Water is added if the dough is too tight; otherwise, it is just fine.
- The softer dough or call it fufu is then removed and tied up in bundles known as bundles of achu.
While the coco-yam and banana are being pounded, the meat and skin is also cooking on the fireplace.
- Firstly, slice the meat and skin and wash it thoroughly.
- Secondly, put in a pot and add enough water, salt, and magi.
- Then, allow to cook until it is soft enough. This can take about thirty to forty-five minutes, depending on the type.
- Mixed the red palm oil and “Niki” in a bowl or pot till it turns pure yellow.
- Drain the stock from the meat and pour it in the bowl or pot. Use a second bowl to mixed the soup well by turning it from bowl to bowl till it is pure yellow and thick enough. You can also use a blender to blend if you have one otherwise continue mixing for about two to three minutes, depending on the quantity.
When these three stages are accomplished then, Achu and Yellow Soup is ready for the table. Yummy!
Considering its ingredients, Achu and Yellow Soup is very rich in
- Carbohydrates from the coco-yams.
- Proteins from the meat.
- Vitamins from red palm oil and vegetable.
- Fats oils from the red palm oil.
- Calcium from the yellow soup
- The yellows soup also fixes minor stomach upsets.
When I look at the whole world as it was some months ago and in the present, I see a promising future where hopes shall be restored, fears disappear, social and public life curbed, businesses well managed, international relations well supervised, world health secured and good home discipline not left out of the great transformation that probably will sprout out of the situation we are living now. With great combat on COVID-19 presently, the future seems promising. Surely these advantages will come to realize if we continue to cooperate in the fight against COVID-19. Up till now, everyone is so conscious and so vigilant of every bit of thing happening around them; however, some people are still to realize the necessity of continuous combat on this virus. So, in seven ways, I have examined this beautiful dream.
- A future with restored hopes.
- A future with no fears but confidence in the ways things are done.
- A future with new approach to social and public life.
- A future with well managed businesses.
- A future with well supervised and improved international relations.
- A future where home security and discipline will be more focused on.
- A future with a well secured world health.
1. A future with restored hopes.
It is but right that what we have all seen and passed through months ago and are still in it now has affected many of us negatively and left many without hope of a better future. There’s no need to be hopeless; in any disappointment, there is a blessing. Looking at how things are unfolding, like the continuous combat on the corona virus, opening up to normality being carefully initiated with everyone involved, the poor and the rich, the old and the young, the governments and lay institutions, we can say there is great hope for the future. If everyone continues to be involved in the fight against this virus, then the advantage is that hopes shall be highly restored and the future brighter.
2. A future with no fears but confidence in the ways things are done.
Fear still lingers in the hearts of many as a result of the present situation. Those who are sick, those who have lost dear ones or have relatives and friends who are suffering, feel hurt. Those working on the front lines and their families, the government, and private business owners, in a nutshell, nearly every one of us carries along a degree of fear in heart because of this situation we find ourselves. Due to the fear, we turn to do one thing or another with a lot of vigilance and care. Thus, when all these daily routines become a habit, a new way of life will surely emanate. When the new way of life is mastered, and new societal norms formed, our fears shall all disappear since we shall be like new people living in a changing society. We shall then leave our homes in confidence to go to a clean, well-organized store, supermarket, orchestra, Church worship, school, wedding ceremony, and what have you. The leverage here maybe that man shall overcome fear, develop more vigilance and confidence in his relationship with neighbors and others, and do simple things well.
3. A future with a new approach to social and public life.
Social life has been so vast and varied that many good and ought things have also happened within making its definition so tricky. It seems gone are those days when human beings had to move too close to one another in many different ways such as friendships, love relationships, infatuations, marriages, lesbianism, homosexuality, public worship, public games, school life, and what have you. These relationships and places brought humans too close to one another, but now a lot of care is being taken thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic. With social distancing, face covering, hand washing, and other measures put in place due to this situation, in the future, people might turn to go very close mostly towards those they highly trust, thereby ensuring respect and care for others.
Public worship presently is experiencing some transformation, an indication that worship procedures shall never be the same again. There is a lot of vigilance and ethical rules put in place that may be maintained when things come to normality. Many people now use social media to worship and praise God. This act may bring about a wider Spread of the Gospel in the future.
With this beneficial tool of social distancing and if this degree of sanity and respect for others is maintained continuously, then shall social and public life curbed positively. Achieving this can help us become creatures of high integrity in the years to come when we must have gotten rid of the situation at hand.
4. A future with well managed businesses and discoveries.
Even though people physically distance themselves, they are using technology in a new way to connect with others. This phenomenon has given rise to the discovery of different techniques of doing things that are good and may continuously improve for a better future. Managers and business operators during this era of COVID-19 have developed very high standards and techniques for handling their businesses. The hygiene and sanitation nature, entrance and exit norms, more online sales, and delivery methods are signs of a better future. Considering the advantage of this change no one may want to go back to old ways. All these are indications that business life seemingly shall never be the same again but improve.
Working from home has been seen to be even more productive and stress-free than before. This experience has also helped to reduce the cost of depreciation and maintenance of office equipment, ensuring a better future for businesses. The cost of these types of equipment may also decrease in the future due to the reduction in their uses. This experience might influence both employers and employees to love and schedule more work from home in the future than now. Some people may also gain online jobs thereby fostering development and employment.
In the line of education, the advantage is that there are hopes of more online teaching/learning, and more techniques and discoveries in doing this in the future than ever before. School staffs have also discovered different ways and techniques in meeting their kids online, even down to kids 1 – 12, a discovery that might have come to stay for a better future. Online classes and zoom meetings have been the order of the day and seen to be comfortable and productive. Connecting with the world online in any form of business is more accessible than ever before, as at-home media consumption has increased dramatically, influencing all aspects of life. More students may turn to take online courses effectively in the future rather than going into the classrooms.
5. A future with well supervised and improved international relations.
The movement now from one country to another is well supervised than ever before, thanks to COVID-19. These measures might only continue to improve because of the hard lessons governments have learned from this ugly situation.
Screening and checks at the airports and seaports, if continuously intensified, shall be able to control better, further outbreaks of viruses that may spread this wild.
More help is now directed to developing countries, thus ensuring more world health and peace. The vast world powers shall tend to think “world,” not just states or continents for COVID-19, in its manner of spread, has taught the global world that one man’s problem is everyone’s problem.
6. A future where home security and discipline will be more focused on.
Parents have developed more delight in tendering their children at home than before. Parents who sometimes feel relieved and rested when their kids are out to school have now with joy preferred to keep them at home and follow them up as long as it is safe without complaining. Family members are seen doing more household crafts like baking and cooking than before. They understand that health comes first for health is life. This mentality ensures less restaurant expenditures, more unity, love, creativity, and understanding within the family now and can be more in the future.
Christian life shall surely experience a boom because children are now learning a lot of sound Christian doctrine and practices right in their homes since home prayer life has intensified with the use of social media.
With the experience of COVID-19 in mind, a second thought might be given to the construction of houses where a quarantine section shall be considered necessary for other health issues, not necessarily COVID-19. Such an achievement might help to control the spread of infections at family level thus ensuring good family and societal health in the future.
7. A future with a well secured world health.
As routines and schedules change to meet the demands of isolation, many people have turned to workout programs and indoor games. Some now focus on taking care of their own physical and psychological needs and those of friends and loved ones. Many seek ways to cope with stress and to keep themselves busy when bored. All these guarantee a better world health in the future.
We shall all realize and enjoy all these advantages if only we continue to combat COVID-19 using all possible means for its complete eradication. Let us all cooperate in quarantine, face covering, hand washing, ethical business norms, care, and respect for one another to secure a future full of hopes, confidence, integrity, good health, well organized businesses, discipline, more discoveries and employment.