Indefinite Definite And Zero Articles
Indefinite, Definite And Zero Articles
Get this ebook
In English, articles are classified into three categories:
the indefinite, the definite, and the zero articles.
The indefinite articles: a and an
A is used in front of words that begin
with a consonant sound, including some words
that begin with the letter u, like a uniform. For example:
a classroom, a school, a church, a man, a uniform, a unique pen, a union set, etcetera.
An on the other hand is used in front of words
that begin with a vowel sound and also
in front of words that begin
with a silent h such as hour, honest,
honorable, e.tc. For example, an elephant,
an article, an orange, an eye, an idea, an hour, an honest girl, etcetera.
The indefinite article is used with
countable nouns when we speak about
them for the first time or when the person we
are speaking to does not know about them:
A military truck came here and a military captain
got out to find out what the riot was about.
The indefinite article can also be used in
place of the number one.
He gave me an orange.
We sat in a class for a whole hour before the teacher came in.
It is also used before the complement in the pattern subject + am/is/are + noun complement in a sentence:
I am a student at the university and I am a Muslim.
You are also a student at the university but you are a Portuguese.
Sometimes, the definite article means
the same as each, especially in sentences like these below:
We have English lessons only once a week.
The cost of fish has risen from 700 francs to 1500 francs a kilo.
The definite article the
In the English language, the is the only definite article thus it is used with any noun, countable or uncountable, singular or plural; which has been mentioned earlier in the same conversation or passage. It also applies to
a noun that is the only one of its kind, For example:
the moon, the sun, the equator, the sky, the world etcetera.)
or the one in the situation talked about.
The teacher saw some of the students sitting in a bar. The bar was full of people smoking cigarettes.
During the rainy season, there are many floods around the world.
The definite article is very often used with nouns followed by a phrase that defines them. This is because the defining phrase makes them the one or ones in the situation we are talking about at the time.
The person in front of the class is the teacher.
The beginning of the rainy season this year was very cold.
The information you gave me about the students was not correct.
The Zero Article
As the word zero implies, no word at all is used. This means that the article is absent. The main uses are before plural countable nouns and for abstract nouns. E.g. love, mentality, behavior, evil, heaven, life, etcetera). Examples:
Love makes the world go round.
There are many wonderful things in life.
Buses stop at bus stops.
Names of seasons, months, days of the week, and meals are used without an article when we talk about them in a general way. They can take either the definite or indefinite articles when they become specific or used in a particular context.
Many people journey during Summer.
The summer of 2019 was cold. (specific)
I like eating beans.
I have eaten the beans. (specific)
However, we talk of the harmattan, the rainy season, the dry season.
You can also follow this lesson and others on YouTube at
If this presentation has helped you press the subscribe button for more. Like and share with friends.
- Responsorial Psalm, Alleluia And Gospel For 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A
- Responsorial Psalm, Alleliua And Gospel For 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A
- Responsorial Psalm, Alleluia And Gospel For 25th Sunday In Ordinary Time Year A
- Responsorial Psalm, Alleluia And Gospel For Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A
- Responsorial Psalm, Alleluia And Gospel For Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A
- A Recapitulation On Nkwen Language
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division for Elementary School Kids
- Aspects Of The English Language
- Audio Visual Version Of The Nkwen Language Handbook
- Basic Mathematics
- Blog Jesus My Lord And My God
- Categories List
- Check Out Page
- Christ The Source And Summit Of A Christian’s Life
- Comfortable School Attire for Kids – Dressing for Success In School
- Education For All E-Books Store
- Education For All Video Playlist
- Enhancing Productivity and Comfort: The Importance of Study Tables and Chairs for Students
- Enhancing The Learning Environment In The Classroom
- Essential Items to Make Your Summer at Home Enjoyable
- Forms Of Poems
- Fueling Young Minds: The Importance of Fresh and Healthy Snacks in Schools
- General Education For All And Entertainment Store
- General Education For All Content Page Content Page
- General Knowledge Revision Quiz On History, Geography, and Sciences for kids 4 through 12
- General Knowledge Revision Video Playlist. General Knowledge Quizzes for Elementary Scholars.
- Gospel Readings in Nkwen Language For Year B
- Great Things That Matter For All.
- Importance And Qualities of Good Backpacks For Kids, Teenagers, Men And Women
- Importance Of Apps in Today’s Social Living
- Importance Of Educational Games for Grades K-12 – Enhancing Learning With Educational Games
- Important Back-to-school Supplies Guidelines For Parents Of Grades K-8
- Important Information And Communication Technology – ICT – Tools For Students In Elementary And Middle Schools.
- Inspired Writings and Formation Talks
- Inspiring Stories About Life
- Music Album And My Mix
- Must-Have Computer Accessories for Every Household
- My account
- My Family Portfolio
- My Lastest Posts
- Nkwen Language Lessons And Podcast
- Official Video of The Perpetual Profession of Sister Yvonne M T
- Personal Prayers For Self-improvement
- Poems About Life – Different Forms Of Poems
- Prayers And Reflections
- Preparing High School Students for Back-to-School – A Comprehensive Guide To A Successful Academic Year
- Proverbs And Words Of Wisdom For Daily Guidance And Self-counselling – July
- Proverbs And Words Of Wisdom For Daily Guidance And Self-counselling For April
- Proverbs And Words Of Wisdom For Daily Guidance And Self-counselling For May
- Responsorial Psalm Chants Audio Playlist
- Responsorial Psalm Chants For Sundays And Feast Days
- Sister Yvonne’s First And Final Profession Celebrations
- Some African Dishes And Ingredients
- Speaking in Nkwen Language
- Ten Highly Regarded Mathematics Books and Workbooks For Students
- THE BO-BE-NkA’A PROJECT
- The Necessity of iPads for Children’s Education: Exploring the Best Brands of Kids’ Tablets for Parents Understanding
- The Necessity of Phones for Everyone: Exploring Good and Easy-to-Use Options For everyone.
- Top 5 Good Low-Cost Phones: Affordability Meets Functionality
- Value of Textbooks and Practice Books for Students
- Wise Sayings for Each Day in Nkwen Language – Audio Playlist